Subtitle A Fun and Simple Guide to Early Communication
Start signing with your baby today! This comprehensive book makes signing easy with photos of real kids forming 100+ signs, plus expert advice on introducing them.
In Baby Sign Language, Mary Smith—founder of popular sign language education business Sign ’n Grow and ASL interpreter—shares everything you need for learning how to sign with your 0–3-year-old.
Maybe you’ve seen it online or remember a friend and their baby signing MILK or MORE. No matter why you’re interested, what you’ve heard is true: signing is one of the best ways to kickstart communication. When babies can sign, they get frustrated less—and the sign-learning process is great for parent-child bonding as well.
In Baby Sign Language, Mary shares the key techniques, tips, and strategies she teaches through small group workshops and classes. At the heart of the book are a broad array of photographed signs that are easy to understand thanks to the real kids signing them. You’ll find everything you could want to talk about, including:
- Mealtime: Milk, Food & Eat, More, All Done, Drink, Water, Dirty, Clean, Please, Thank You, Yes, No, Hungry, Thirsty, Want
- Daytime: Help, Open, Up, Pacifier, Light, Bath, Brush Teeth, Diaper, Change, Blanket, Bed, Sleep/Nap, Good, Morning, Night, Bathroom/Pee/Potty, Poop, And A Variety Of Clothing Signs
- Playtime: Again, What, Read, Book, Play, Toy, Dance, Music, Ball, Try, Friend, Take Turns, Nice, Gentle, Dog, Cat
- Family: Family, Love, Mommy, Daddy, Baby, Brother, Sister, Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt, Uncle, You, Me
- How Baby Feels: How, Feel, Happy, Excited, Silly, Sad, Angry, Scared, Sleepy, Tired, Hurt, Surprised, Fussy, Frustrated
- Outdoors: Walk, Stroller, Outside, Playground, Grass, Airplane, Sun, Moon, Stars, Cloud, Rain, Snow, Weather, Wind, Hot, Cold, Bug, Butterfly, Rock, Leaf, Car, Tree, Bird, House
With songs, stories, and games to encourage sign usage, various ways for modeling signs, and insider tips for things like how to understand if your baby is comprehending a sign or babbling, this is the thorough, accessible guide you need to start communicating with your baby using signs.