Description Description Best-selling author Randy Leffingwell celebrates a half-century of one of the world's premiere sports cars, focusing on the major themes that have defined Porsche's rear-engined wonder.
Porsche 911: 50 Years
tells the whole story—design and development
, racing and competition
, engineering and technology
, style and culture
. All the iconic 911 models are included:
- The original 901 prototype that set the standard
- The legendary RS models that made the little Porsche a dominant force on the world's racetracks
- The infamous Turbo, the car that kept the performance flame alight during the dark, dismal decade of the 1970s
- The fabled 959, the model that redefined the term "sports car"
- The 993, last of the original air-cooled models
- The 996, 997, and 991, the liquid-cooled cars that brought the 911 into a new millennium
Beyond telling the story of the cars
, Porsche 911: 50 years also spotlights the people behind them
: Ferdinand "Butzi" Porsche, the son of legendary Porsche founder Ferdinand "Ferry" Porsche
, who co-designed the instantly recognizable 911 shape; Peter W. Schutz
, the Porsche CEO who saved the 911 from extinction; and Dr. Helmuth Bott
, the engineering genius behind many of the groundbreaking technologies that have defined the 911, including fuel injection, turbocharging, and all-wheel-drive.
Leffingwell also tells the story of the 911 community
—the clubs and culture that surround the car.
Together, all of these facets make Porsche 911: 50 Years
the most essential book in any Porsche owner or fan's library.